Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Technology overdose?

Many of us have seen so much of technology transformation in our life, even in the short span of 10-20 years time frame.

Take an example of telecommuncation in India which as made now Geography as History”, gone are the days where one has to wait in queue for 5-6 years for a landline connection, now you have service providers in queue at your door steps in 5-6 minutes.

Last weekend, I was in staying in outskirts of Thane (near Mumbai) for a team event, the place where we stayed has no mobile phone signal. I was cut off without phone and internet from Friday night to Saturday evening; felt competely restless without wirless connection. I and my colleague managed to find some spots in the resort where there was atleast 10% intermitent signal to send SMS (we have named them as SMS spots). Btw, it is rare to find a holiday spot without wirless connection – must be an USP for that resort!.

I am thinking, are we over using (over dependant) on technology than required?; let us talk about few instances, let me start with me

1. When I moved to Chennai two and half years ago, was settling down in a house; things were scattered all over, my son’s laptop came in handy as a mirror to shave (too expensive for a mirror and not for the right use, isn’t it?)



2. Few years ago (non mobile phone days), if you had to pickup someone at the train station, there must a standard landmark to wait, like “book stall”, “tea shop on platform10” and so on. I am sure you would have picked the person without any hassle. Now with mobile phones, you atleast make some five calls, before you trace the person. Technology made us efficient?



3. How many times you have gone to the store and then called your partner (or someone at home) to send you txt msg on what to buy, where did the small chit of paper with grocer list go?



Can you discuss your examples of technology overdose?

9 comments:

  1. Well how about calling someone via mobile phone from one room while the person is in the bedroom next to yours in the same house.

    Sending email to colleagues who are right next door instead of walking and informing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely & Practical Yes I did pay over 1000 US dollar in 1986 which is over a Crore of Rupee in Today's Cost Table cos you will get a land in Nesapakkam which is now qouted 1 C , If I say this to my kid they will laugh.

    Now as Usha rightly Said We have Heights of Sofestication even to Shave we use over 1000 USD
    Gadget u see... Rtn. Sridhar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the mirror one.Never had of this!!

    How many of us have heard this " I lost your number as I changed the mobile phone/SIM or lost my phone"

    Gone are those days we used to exercise our brains by remembering the phone numbers( mobile numbers made it difficult though) and using the diary to note down the phone numbers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good picture and costly mirror,

    yes it is bit difficult to live without technology yet we can exercise ourselves to avoid these technologies. It might be difficult but nothing is impossible.

    Television is occupying more space nowadays which reaches many... I meant SERIALS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ofcourse, reflection in laptop is a good idea when u don't have mirror handy :)

    1. After using mobile phone for a year, I won't forgot the day when I left my mobile at office wash room. Felt totally disconnected from the world. The numbers I was able to recall was that of my home landline and the left mobile.

    2.When gas cylinder got over, we used ironbox to make omelette and as bread toaster.

    3.Sad thing is with calculators and computers arround, we are totally out of mental calculations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very True.... we are so used to computers, that if i need to search something at home, i start thinking to press CNTRL F...

    ReplyDelete
  7. well said durai. technology is over used and people like us have lived through the transitions. when i told my kids that i used phone only at the age of 15, they did not believe me. over use of mobiles and messaging only adds to tension. no one has patience these days. station pickup and travel is one good example. when i went to US for the first time in 1996, it took 5 days for me to communicate to my parents. they did not had landline (we just moved to that house and waiting for the line tranfers - 2 years!), forget about mobile and internet connections. Even in the silicon valley, there were no mobiles with my contacts and went to someone's house to make a call. Two years back, i was on a travel to same place. every single stopover, either i was messaging, calling and emailing to wife! technology increases expectations as well tensions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Akila -- interesting to know that ironbox is used to make omlette.

    @mguru -- the gadgets raises expectations and tension, the first thing I do after wakeup is read emails.

    ReplyDelete
  9. With technology overdose, these days one seldom look at the wall clock and wrist watch to get the time. Instead, we are so tuned to catch up with time only over the smartphones/iphones/mobile ~!!
    It took me almost a year to buy a wall clock in my new home !! Trying to come out of hangover !!
    -Vijayaraghavan

    ReplyDelete